Work on your Night Owl Badge at Home
- Research nocturnal animals that live in Southeast VA or
Northeast NC. What do their eyes look like at night? How are their
eyes designed to see at night?
- Do the Leave No Trace
Awareness tutorial to learn how to respect animals. How might this
be different at night?
- Go into your backyard at night and
look up at the sky. If it’s clear, look at the starts and draw the
constellations you see. Write a short story about the night time
- Make a list and research jobs that happen in overnight
hours. Try and talk to someone on the phone who has a night job.
What are some questions you might have for people who work night
*To complete this badge, have a nighttime party with friends or
troop, play flashlight tag and other night games*
Work on your Trees Badge at Home
- What is your favorite tree and why? Draw your favorite tree
and do some research about it. Label the parts of the tree after you
are done drawing – be sure to get all the layers and parts in.
- Design a treehouse – either drawing or creating a 3D
- Create your dream tree garden on paper, what type
of trees will you include? Why? Will you have fruit trees?
- Create a piece of art using parts of trees you find on the
*To complete this badge you will need to plant a tree or learn from
an expert on how to care for trees or shadow the expert
Work on your Outdoor Art Apprenticeship Badge at Home
- Find a spot in your back yard sit and draw the scene at
different times throughout the day. What is different in the morning
- Sit outside and mimic the sounds you hear or
write a rap or poem inspired by sounds in nature.
photos of textures or patterns you find in your back yard, create an
outdoor photo journal or take photos of things that are
- Design a square foot garden on paper or build
something with nature.
*To complete the badge, Dye something you can wear with naturel
colors, make nature art out of clay or make seed paper*
Like A Programmer
Learn how to code from your couch, on your bed, or at the dinner
table (well - maybe save it until after dinner). Work on projects
during the month and earn your Think Like A Programmer badge when