When Disney FamilyFun magazine was looking for ideas for fun group and family activities, they turned to Girl Scouts (we posted a Call for Entries on the Virtual Volunteer last September View Article... )Over 550 ideas were submitted and eight troops ideas were chosen for the February 2010 issue of the magazine. The magazine asked girls to share memorable ideas other groups and families would love. The chosen troops not only received the recognition but also $250 and various other gifts from the magazine.
Senior Editor of Disney FamilyFun magazine, Debra Immergut said, "We were thrilled with the number and quality of ideas provided by Girl Scout volunteers across the country, from New York to California. They've proved their mettle in coming up with fun ideas that engage children while providing priceless life skills; we hope Disney FamilyFun readers enjoy these activities as much as we have."
The Disney FamilyFun published ideas and troops are:
- A Pajama Party That Also Collects PJs for Women in Need, Brownie Troop 96, Scottsville, New York
- Pudding Served Up in an Ice-Cream Cone, Brownie Troop 155, Marietta, Ohio
- Catnip Mice for the Local Pet Shelter, Junior Girl Scout Troop 1332, Littleton, Colorado
- Going Green with Plantable Greeting Cards, Girl Scout Troop 496, Bristow, Oklahoma
- A Twist on Tradition: S'mores in a Bag, Brownie Troop 1169, Scottsboro, Alabama
- Compliment Sheets Share the Love, Junior Girl Scout Troop 24259, Woodstock, Georgia
- A Pass-the-Mirror Game That Teaches Self-Esteem, Daisy Troop 1486, Maricopa, Arizona
- Hula Hoop Game: It's a Group Effort, Cadette Girl Scout Troop 1486, Kirkwood, Missouri
You might even want to try some of these activities with your own troop!