According to recent statistics, we are losing World War II veterans at the rate of approximately 1,000 per day, and there are many more who are in declining health. We know that Girl Scouts believe in honoring our nation's heroes and invite you to consider assisting the Honor Flight network in its efforts to show veterans the special place they hold in our hearts.
The Honor Flight Network provides a special kind of honor for the sacrifices of America's veterans. Our heroes are flown to Washington D.C. to visit their memorials. Top priority is given to senior veterans - World War II survivors. The veterans do not pay for this activity - it is absolutely free.
There are four locations in southern Alabama that will have honor flights, and each location would like to have Girl Scouts at the homecoming ceremonies. This would be a fantastic community service event for your troop.
· 8 p.m. April 17 and April 24, Dothan Airport
· To attend, contact Bob Bunting at 334-774-0961
· 7 p.m. May 15, Southeast Regional Airport in Sanford (between Opp and Andalusia).
· There is also a reception that is tentatively scheduled for May 1 at the Andalusia City Hall.
· To attend either event, contact Gary Petty at 334-428-2687
· 6:30 p.m. April 17, Montgomery Airport
· To attend, you simply need to show up (no advance contact is requested)
· 7:30 p.m. May 12, Mobile Airport
· To attend, contact Margaret Coley at 251-463-4576 or firstname.lastname@example.org